Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the County Counsel’s office located?

We are just inside the Administration/Legal Building on Government Center, which is located at 891 Mountain Ranch Rd, San Andreas.

Does the County Counsel give legal advice to members of the public?

No. The County Counsel serves the public indirectly by providing legal advice to the County’s elected officials, departments, agencies, committees, commissions and various special districts. We cannot provide legal advice to or answer legal questions for the general public.

How do I request a public record?

The County Counsel is generally not the custodian of records for Calaveras County.  You should inquire and/or submit a written request for the specifics documents desired to the County department/entity where you believe the records are maintained.  Any inquires/written requests should include a clear description of the documents requested as well as your contact information, so the County can timely respond.

Can I file a claim against the County with the County Counsel’s office, and if not, where should I file it?

No. The original claim form, including any additional documentation supporting your claim must be filed with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors. Please retain a copy of your submitted claim for your records and mail or hand-deliver the original to:

Clerk of the Board of Supervisors
County Clerk’s Office
891 Mountain Ranch Road
San Andreas, CA 95249

How do I file a claim against the County?

You may obtain a claim form from the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors or you can download the form from the below link:

When you submit your claim, please provide any and all back-up documentation you have regarding the alleged damages/injuries (police reports, estimates for repair, photographs of damage, etc.) The original claim and any additional documentation must be filed with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.  Please fill out the claim form completely and thoroughly. Additional sheets may be attached if more space is needed. All claims received by the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors are forwarded to the County’s Claims Administrator for consideration. The County has forty-five (45) days in which to respond to your claim.  

I would like a copy of the Calaveras County Code. Where can I review it?

The County Code can be viewed in hard copy at the Calaveras County Law Library or in the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors office. Alternatively, you can access the County Code from the County’s website through the below link:

County Ordinances

Where is the Law Library?

The Calaveras County Law Library is located downstairs in the County Administrative/Legal Building at 891 Mountain Ranch Rd, San Andreas. 

How do I contact the Calaveras Superior Court?

Calaveras Superior Court
400 Government Center Drive,
San Andreas, CA 95249-9794
Telephone: (209) 754-9800

I can’t afford a lawyer; does Calaveras County have a Legal Aid Center?

The Calaveras County Superior Court has a Self-Help Center which offers one-stop legal assistance; a place for people to research a legal matter, type forms, make photocopies, and get prepared to file their papers. All services are free of charge.  Appointments can be made for individual assistance or sign-up to attend one of the “How to” clinics. The Self-Help Legal Center is provided by the Calaveras County Superior Court and can be reached at: (209) 754-1443.

Where can I get legal forms?

The Judicial Council has forms available to the public at no charge.  

The Calaveras Superior Court also provides some local forms, which can be found at: